Thursday, October 06, 2005
Garden update: 4 o'clocks!



Before I forget, I wanted to post an update (and photo) on my 4 o'clocks (Mirabilis jalapa for my fellow garden gurus out there, including my favourite horticulturist!). You can click the pic above for a larger close-up of the photo. I couldn't fit all the seedlings in the frame, but most are there.

I have good news and bad news since writing my lovingly detailed Sept. 28 entry about my beautiful babies. The bad news is that NONE of the seeds from the yellow-and-magenta variegated plant have sprouted yet. However, NINE of the seeds from the white-and-magenta variegated plant have sprouted. ("Oh what a difference a vowel makes!")

At first I thought of mixing seed from the two plants together and sowing them in a big group, but then I decided to keep them separate. I'm glad I did, because now I learned that either (a) something is very wrong with the seeds of the yellow-and-magenta plant and they're not germinating, or (b) the seeds WILL germinate, but for some reason require a lot more time. I'm certainly not giving up on them! :)

In the meantime, I have the pleasure of seeing nine white-and-magentas popping up! The two oldest have even developed their "real" leaves, which are lanceolate and slim -- a contrast to the embryonic leaf pair, which are roundish and wide.

Just for fun, here's a rerun of photos I took of flowers from BOTH parent plants. Click each pic for a larger version. The white-and-magenta flowers are prettier, but the yellow-and-magenta ones smell sweeter. Oh well -- you can't have it all, I guess! ;D







Today I am feeling gleeful but confused.
posted by ScaryShari @ 10:47 PM  
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 

Welcome to my blog: 'Meandering Missive'!
My Photo
Name:
Location: South Bay Area, California, United States

My blog here has been abandoned, sorry! But PLEASE come and visit me at http://scaryshari.livejournal.com -- I update my blog several times each week. And Live Journal is far better than Blogspot/Blogger in many ways!! :)

Recent Rambles
Archives
Quote of the Week
'The only way to have a friend is to be one.' - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Fave Blog Log
Fave Links
Counter

Misc. Goodies

15n41n1

Blogwise - blog directory

Personal Blog Top Sites

Blog Flux Directory

Technorati blog directory

pointlessly purple

Secret Santa Project


www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing photos in a set called Shari's badge. Make your own badge here.