Tuesday, September 27, 2005
Saving my sole
No, not my soul -- that's quite safe and secure, despite what some belief systems may wrongfully assume. ;) And no, not my fish either -- sole is too delicate a dish for me to mangle; I leave that to the pros. (Especially filet of sole almondine, my favorite.) BLUB!

The sole to which I refer is on one of my black Justin cowboy boots. I've known for a long time I had to have it re-soled, but kept putting it off. However, at my Cattle Barons Ball volunteer gig (see Sept. 25 blog entry), I almost tripped myself! So I guess I shouldn't put it off any longer, especially since my Justins are my dressiest and favorite boots.

This brand is NOT cheap, and is known for its quality leather soles. I can't really complain, however, because I had this boot pair for many years and probably danced the darn sole away! *chuckle* Between 1996/97 and 2000/01, I went boot-scooting 2 to 4 times every month at various dance clubs/bars that played country music. My two favorites were the now-defunct Cheers (in Sunnyvale) and the Saddle Rack (which closed in San Jose and re-opened in Fremont). I and my friends were also known to haunt the Horseshoe Club in Santa Clara and the Rio Grande in Mountain View. Both of those are now defunct as well -- what's up with that? Is country music such a pariah in the Silicon Valley? :(

At any rate, I generally wore these boots (along with a pair of blue and brown Laredos). I'm curious why the right sole is in such a state of disrepair, while the left one is worn but not this badly (see photo below). Perhaps somewhere along the line I snagged or cracked the right sole and it was weak ever since. Or maybe in those days before I enjoyed regular chiropractic adjustments, my gait was uneven and too much weight was being carried by my right foot. Who knows? %-)

I just know I now need to have BOTH boots re-soled, since it would be stupid to do otherwise. Fortunately the upper parts of both boots are in excellent condition, which means I don't need to buy a new pair: just repair the current one. I received a personal recommendation for The Cobbler's Bench on Winchester Blvd. in Santa Clara, which has been in biz for 25 years (impressive!) I checked the place out, met the old-school cobbie himself and got a competitive price quote. So, looks like these boots are made for walkin' -- over to Santa Clara for a fixin'! Click the pic below for a larger view. I guess this right boot would be the "sole mate" of the left one, eh? (heehee) *groan*



Today I am feeling content.
posted by ScaryShari @ 10:23 PM  
1 Comments:
  • At 1:41 PM, Blogger ScaryShari said…

    Err.... I think you meant to type "SO many memories in those boots", not "DO many memories"! ;) I assume you were saying that you have so many fond memories from your old boots. Unless you are ordering me to do something with my own boots *snicker* (Blogspot won't let me edit comments; it'll only let me delete them. There's no way to correct boo-boos - so make sure you never slander me, cowgirlfriend! LOL)

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 

Welcome to my blog: 'Meandering Missive'!
My Photo
Name:
Location: South Bay Area, California, United States

My blog here has been abandoned, sorry! But PLEASE come and visit me at http://scaryshari.livejournal.com -- I update my blog several times each week. And Live Journal is far better than Blogspot/Blogger in many ways!! :)

Recent Rambles
Archives
Quote of the Week
'The only way to have a friend is to be one.' - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Fave Blog Log
Fave Links
Counter

Misc. Goodies

15n41n1

Blogwise - blog directory

Personal Blog Top Sites

Blog Flux Directory

Technorati blog directory

pointlessly purple

Secret Santa Project


www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing photos in a set called Shari's badge. Make your own badge here.