Sunday, October 02, 2005
Breast Cancer Awareness Month


As the proud and grateful daughter of a breast cancer survivor (my mom, as some of you know, was diagnosed in January 2001), I wanted to humbly remind everyone that October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month.

Of course, the prevention of breast cancer is something that should be thought of EVERY month! And so, I encourage all the women reading this to please remember to do monthly self-exams. That's how my mom caught her B.C. in an early, curable stage! :) I also encourage women to please remember to get mammograms if they are over the suggested starting age (which varies depending on family history, risk factors, etc.) I know it's very easy to forget and/or to put off doing these things, so if this blog helps even one woman to remember, I'm happy!

Another great thing to do is support worthy non-profits raising funds for B.C. research. My favorite is the Susan G. Komen Foundation. I joined them long before B.C. entered my family's life, and I will always renew my yearly membership. If you prefer to get something for your donation (who doesn't?), I HIGHLY recommend the Komen Foundation's "Gift Shop", which contains an amazing array of reasonably priced clothing, pins, jewelry, mugs, books, plush animals, greeting cards, gift sets and more. (The photo above is one example). Many items are pink or have pink ribbons incorporated in some way, but others don't. I love their merchandise!! And 50 to 80 % of the purchase prices go RIGHT back to the Komen Foundation. I find that very impressive. You can visit the "Gift Shop" page directly by clicking here . Why not check it out now, while you're thinking of it? No harm in looking, right? ;)

Today I am feeling thoughtful.
posted by ScaryShari @ 7:44 PM  
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 

Welcome to my blog: 'Meandering Missive'!
My Photo
Name:
Location: South Bay Area, California, United States

My blog here has been abandoned, sorry! But PLEASE come and visit me at http://scaryshari.livejournal.com -- I update my blog several times each week. And Live Journal is far better than Blogspot/Blogger in many ways!! :)

Recent Rambles
Archives
Quote of the Week
'The only way to have a friend is to be one.' - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Fave Blog Log
Fave Links
Counter

Misc. Goodies

15n41n1

Blogwise - blog directory

Personal Blog Top Sites

Blog Flux Directory

Technorati blog directory

pointlessly purple

Secret Santa Project


www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing photos in a set called Shari's badge. Make your own badge here.