Thursday, September 29, 2005
Furry critters w/ sticky feet & googlie eyes!
In my Sept. 25 entry, I pondered about what to call those fuzzy little puffballs with sticky conjoined feet and googlie eyes and which generally have some "accessory" glued to them. I forgot to mention that many of them also have a long tag on which is printed a brand name, a slogan, a holiday greeting, etc. I remember them being called "weebles", "weepuls" and "weebots".

I was thinking about these colorful critters because I bought some items from a school fundraiser catalog my cousin is toting around for her son. (What a great mom!) This made me recall that when I had to sell things for school fundraisers (mainly magazine subscriptions, ugh), we often got the aforementioned "wee-whatevers" as incentives. They weren't the ONLY incentives, of course! No kid would sell anything if that were the case! *smirk* Each time we sold X number of things, we'd earn the corresponding wee, which also signified we could choose from a better prize group, take part in a prize drawing, attend a reward party, etc.

Believe it or not, yours truly the packrat recently found a big bag o' wees! Now the whole Internet can see what I'm talking about! I selected one wee from each color category for the photo below. Most of the wees in my bag are actually NOT from school fundraisers, but rather were promotional items given away by companies, or were impulse buys (of mine) connected to some holiday, season or event. *chuckle* Please tell me what YOU call these little furballs! ;D Click the pic for a larger version.




Today I am feeling zany!
posted by ScaryShari @ 7:16 PM  
6 Comments:
  • At 9:26 AM, Blogger ScaryShari said…

    Milgwimper, thanks for your insightful help on naming the furry critters! *grin* Seriously though, I think I will turn on the Blogspot word/number verification option, because I've been deleting SPAMMISH blog comments and ads every few days. :( Can you believe people would resort to such desperation?

    Ursina (hello old friend!), I was unfortunately right about what I told you yesterday about the cute yellow duck one. It has no name or identifying info on it. It just has a tag that says "You're just ducky!" But, if I ever see one, I'll get it for you! :)

     
  • At 5:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    i call them weepuls. where did you get the big bag of them?

     
  • At 6:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    i love weebles and people told me for years i was crazy for calling them weebles. i'm jealous of your collection. i had dozens in elementary school. we'd always get a new one for every holiday, birthdays, etc. i have a new collection of 2!

     
  • At 1:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    FUZZBALLS!!!!!! AHHHHHHHHRRRRRRR :P There out ta get me :O

     
  • At 9:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I remember weebles!! Our school always called them weebles...I don't know whatever happened to all the ones I had.

     
  • At 2:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm from the UK and used to collect these things as a kid in the '80s. I called them "bugs". I suppose I must have picked that name up from somewhere... I remember the first one I had was red and came from a mediaeval-style pageant held in Guildford.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 

Welcome to my blog: 'Meandering Missive'!
My Photo
Name:
Location: South Bay Area, California, United States

My blog here has been abandoned, sorry! But PLEASE come and visit me at http://scaryshari.livejournal.com -- I update my blog several times each week. And Live Journal is far better than Blogspot/Blogger in many ways!! :)

Recent Rambles
Archives
Quote of the Week
'The only way to have a friend is to be one.' - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Fave Blog Log
Fave Links
Counter

Misc. Goodies

15n41n1

Blogwise - blog directory

Personal Blog Top Sites

Blog Flux Directory

Technorati blog directory

pointlessly purple

Secret Santa Project


www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing photos in a set called Shari's badge. Make your own badge here.