Wednesday, March 08, 2006
"Torch Song Sonnet" (a poem)
Is it "typically female" to remember the date I was dumped by a very significant boyfriend? *chuckle* That's the idea I seem to get, not that I mind. I am, after all, a woman -- and a sentimental one at that. Many men I know have a hard time even remembering birthdays and anniversaries, so I'd assume they for sure wouldn't bother remembering the date a girlfriend dumped them.

Anyway, back on March 8, 1996, I was unceremoniously dumped by R.H., who at that point in my life was my happiest and longest relationship. I was confused, heartbroken and depressed, and it took a good portion of 1996 to get over him. Yep, that's right, I carried a torch for him for a long time, considering him "my once and future boyfriend" and even referring to him that way to my friends and family. Eventually, I did get over him. (And I'll can never thank my best friend 'Milgwimper' enough for being there for me all those times I wanted to cry, rant or just talk. *hugs* I love you like a sister!)

On March 8, 1997, one year after the "dark date" on the calendar of my life, I wrote an upbeat, victorious sonnet in honour of myself and my ability to survive, heal and move optimistically onward. :)


Torch Song Sonnet (March 8, 1997)

One year ago, today, a torch of fire
Was knocked onto the ground by one I loved.
I could not let the flick'ring flame expire,
But picked it up and held it high above
My dream-filled head and bleeding, pining heart --
I couldn't let the embers fade and die!
And so for eight long months this torch was part
Of everything I did as life went by.
I let the torch go out some months ago,
But darkness did not come into my life --
Instead came magic, laughter and the glow
When hope springs from the ashes of past strife.
As tonight's pale Moon begins to wax anew,
So did my heart, when once that torch I threw.

sjk
posted by ScaryShari @ 6:57 PM  
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 

Welcome to my blog: 'Meandering Missive'!
My Photo
Name:
Location: South Bay Area, California, United States

My blog here has been abandoned, sorry! But PLEASE come and visit me at http://scaryshari.livejournal.com -- I update my blog several times each week. And Live Journal is far better than Blogspot/Blogger in many ways!! :)

Recent Rambles
Archives
Quote of the Week
'The only way to have a friend is to be one.' - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Fave Blog Log
Fave Links
Counter

Misc. Goodies

15n41n1

Blogwise - blog directory

Personal Blog Top Sites

Blog Flux Directory

Technorati blog directory

pointlessly purple

Secret Santa Project


www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing photos in a set called Shari's badge. Make your own badge here.