Saturday, March 11, 2006
Snow in San Jose!!
That's right, it actually snowed in certain parts of San Jose yesterday (Friday), including bustling downtown, of all places. Unfortunately, it didn't snow here, but we *did* get some hail (and lots of rain). And of course there's snow on the two highest peaks at opposite sides of the Santa Clara Valley: Mt. Hamilton (4,200+ feet) and Mt. Umunhum (3,400+ feet). Mt. Hamilton, in fact, was where I photographed my "Ansel Adams" oak tree back in December 2003. *blush*

It also snowed in the Santa Cruz Mountains, whose highest elevation is (I think?) around 2,700 feet but generally is lower. Whatever the case with the Santa Cruz Mountains, they're high enough, and the weird weather was cold enough, for Highway 17 between Los Gatos and Santa Cruz to temporarily CLOSE due to SNOW! The snow in the mountains and down here in the Valley made PAGE ONE headlines in the Mercury News, our local paper! *chuckle*

I really badly wanted to go to ANY of these snowy locations, but it didn't happen. :( I was too busy yesterday, and again today. At least they're good commitments, and I probably wouldn't have gone to the snow even without having them, since I'm still getting over the remainder of the extremely YUCKY cold I caught one week ago. I don't feel sick at all anymore, but my sinuses are still somewhat messed up. I almost thought I was developing a sinus infection; that's how long the darn cold affected me!

At any rate, I just wanted to record this "snow date" for posterity. :) It's not all that odd to have a few days of snow in the local mountains, but it's VERY uncommon to have snow down here in the Valley! Maybe it'll happen once more before Spring, and I'll be able to go and play in it!

P.S. For those following my ongoing squirrel escapades -- I had a nice visit with Peanut and Goober today, because it was finally sunny and relatively clear. (I also saw several squirrels who don't know me -- YET!) I hadn't noticed Peanut or Goober around for 2 or 3 days during the bad weather,so I was glad to see my friends again, and I suspect the feeling was mutual. ;)= I also think I need to buy another bag of unshelled peanuts soon!

Today I am feeling agog at the snow!
posted by ScaryShari @ 3:23 PM  
1 Comments:
  • At 3:41 PM, Blogger Shari said…

    Are you buried under the snow with the squirrels? :)

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 

Welcome to my blog: 'Meandering Missive'!
My Photo
Name:
Location: South Bay Area, California, United States

My blog here has been abandoned, sorry! But PLEASE come and visit me at http://scaryshari.livejournal.com -- I update my blog several times each week. And Live Journal is far better than Blogspot/Blogger in many ways!! :)

Recent Rambles
Archives
Quote of the Week
'The only way to have a friend is to be one.' - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Fave Blog Log
Fave Links
Counter

Misc. Goodies

15n41n1

Blogwise - blog directory

Personal Blog Top Sites

Blog Flux Directory

Technorati blog directory

pointlessly purple

Secret Santa Project


www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing photos in a set called Shari's badge. Make your own badge here.