Sunday, September 25, 2005
Family + friends + volunteerism = cool weekend!
Well, so much for the idea that this blog might turn into a diary or journal into which I write entries every day! Actually, I never intended it to be, so this one-day lapse is nothing to kick myself about. And, in fact, there were several happy reasons why I was too busy yesterday to write in it. :)

In the morning, my mom L, aunt J, favorite cousin J and I all got together for a "Ladies Day", which we try to do once or twice a year, in addition to when we get together at larger family events like birthdays, holidays, etc. It involves just the four of us getting together for a meal (usually at a restaurant, so no one has to cook!), sharing thoughtful, conversation-stimulating answers we've prepared on a pre-determined question or topic, and just hanging out, catching up and having a good time.

We usually meet for lunch, but this time we met for brunch at one of my favorite establishments, Bakers Square. Whether it's breakfast, lunch, dinner or dessert -- I've never had a bad meal there! And no, they did not pay me to say that! ;)

We then went shopping at Trader Joe's, a favorite specialty grocery store of all of us, and which my aunt and cousin don't have as easy access to. We then went home, shared our thought lists, chatted about many things ranging from personal to hilarious, and I bought some items from the fundraising gift catalog J (my cousin) is dutifully toting around for her son, B. I'm such a sucker for helping kids rise through the "prize levels" of their school fundraisers, mainly because I remember what it was like when I was in that pickle! *chuckle* Interestingly enough, this catalog was something I actually wanted to shop from, because it was more eclectic than any I've ever seen! The company is Cherrydale Farms, and they carry everything from candles to candy to plants (bulbs) to gift wrap to body lotions to magazine subscriptions! I was very impressed! :)

Why didn't they have cool stuff like this when I was a kid? Anyone remember those dreary magazine subscription-only fundraisers where you earned a different colored/themed fuzzy "weeble" that granted you entrance to special parties and prize levels? I don't know what you call those fuzzy things -- they have conjoined feet so that when you peel off the backing, the critters can stick to anything with their feet. The look like round furry cotton balls with googlie eyes and generally have something glued to their heads or bodies, like a hat, hands, a sign, wings, ears, etc. I remember them being called weebles, weepuls, weebots, etc. Not to be confused with "Weebles Wobble But They Don't Fall Down"! LOL And of course not to be confused with the evil WEEVIL, which wreaks destruction on many crops, cotton being the most notorious victim.

Anyhoo, after Ladies Day, I had just enough time to relax a little bit, get changed and leave for Saratoga, where I was reporting for duty as a volunteer for the Cattle Barons Ball, the biggest fundraiser of the year for the Santa Clara County chapter of the American Cancer Society. I volunteered with my good friends Jenn and Dan. Most of Jenn's friends are volunteerism-oriented, seeing as like tends to attract like and Jenn herself is the founder and CEO of an awesome Bay Area nonprofit, The Family Giving Tree.

Unfortunately, we weren't able to round up any of the usual suspects (our friends) except one to join us for this year's Ball, but that's okay -- we've done it in the past, and we'll do it again! If you have a couple hundred dollars to spend on admission and a couple thousand to throw on the live and silent auctions, the Cattle Barons Ball is THE place to do it, since it raises funds for a truly worthy organization. After all, everyone knows someone affected (directly or indirectly) by cancer. :( And if, like most of us, the Ball's price tag is out of your range, try volunteering! I try to do several community service projects each year because, as I like to put it, I can't afford to donate much in terms of money, but at least I can donate my time. :)

And on that happy note, I will stop my meandering missive for tonight!

Today I am feeling content.
posted by ScaryShari @ 5:08 PM  
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 

Welcome to my blog: 'Meandering Missive'!
My Photo
Name:
Location: South Bay Area, California, United States

My blog here has been abandoned, sorry! But PLEASE come and visit me at http://scaryshari.livejournal.com -- I update my blog several times each week. And Live Journal is far better than Blogspot/Blogger in many ways!! :)

Recent Rambles
Archives
Quote of the Week
'The only way to have a friend is to be one.' - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Fave Blog Log
Fave Links
Counter

Misc. Goodies

15n41n1

Blogwise - blog directory

Personal Blog Top Sites

Blog Flux Directory

Technorati blog directory

pointlessly purple

Secret Santa Project


www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing photos in a set called Shari's badge. Make your own badge here.