Saturday, December 10, 2005
And BINGO is our Name-O! ;)
Funny how childhood songs like "BINGO Was His Name-O" are so fun when we're kids and seem so inane when we're adults. "There was a farmer had a dog" -- what kind of weird grammar is that for kids? *chuckle* Then again, I still feel the urge to clap my hands when I hear this funny, catchy tune, so I guess there's something to be said for it after all.

Anyway, I've been waiting all day to blog about last night (Friday), and now after a day of sleeping in, cleaning the house, doing laundry and various other mundane tasks, I have a bit of time to blog before getting dressed and going out for dinner.

I wanted to say how HAPPY I am about the bingo game last night at my house! At 9 players (8 plus me), it was the biggest crowd since I "founded" the group this past March. I hope everyone had a fun and FESTIVE time! ;D Thank you Becky R., Becky S., Coleen, Ina, Jenny, Jo, Karrie and Lisa for a great game! And thank you Ina for helping Gladys find her voice again for calling bingo numbers. I'm glad almost everyone won something, and am especially glad Becky S. won something, as it was her first time playing with the Bingo Belles. I hope it won't be your last, Becky! :) It was the last game for Jo, who'll be moving to N. Carolina soon. Good luck, Jo!

Since I haven't posted any PHOTOS in this blog for quite a while, here are two group shots from last night's game. If you need to see a larger-sized image, click either photo to view it up-close. For those gals on the mailing list who haven't yet made it to one of our games -- come on down! ;D Look what you're missing!





One of the reasons I'm so stoked is that I got the Bingo Belles together, as a matter of necessity, this past March (even though I've never "started" a group before). As many folks already know, I played in a similar group, the Bingo Babes, for several years. Sadly, they turned into (or always were but hid it), a clique-ish, intolerant and uber-conservative bunch who, in a juvenile manner, pretended to disband in February, only to re-form without telling me and another player.

We were slightly younger than the rest, and liberal, but were always friendly and respectful, kept our opinions to ourselves and believed that everyone is capable of getting along for just 2.5 hours once a month to play a game we all enjoy, despite any differences. Apparently the others were too intolerant and exclusive for that! I found this hurtful, not to mention ironic, since the other player and myself did the least offensive things of anyone! We always brought very good bingo gifts, never took cellphone calls at the bingo table, never made the others feel on-the-spot to buy something we or a loved one was fundraising for, never bragged about our families, and never used the table as a forum to rant and rave about hot-button religious, political and/or moral topics.

Among the OTHER players were folks who brought gifts that were clearly used or several-times re-gifted and/or so undesirable you wouldn't even bring them to a white elephant exchange; who'd make/take inane, loud and very long cellular calls at the bingo table; who'd solicit everyone to buy the cookies, popcorn, cookie dough or giftwrap their kids were selling for fundraisers; brag on and on about their husbands or children to the point that we all knew it by heart; and perhaps worst of all, grind the entire fun game to a halt while they vehemently expounded upon very controversial religious, political and/or moral matters that should definitely not be discussed when you don't know the views of everyone you're ranting to. :(

A third player dropped out of the old group due to the above junk and the "eviction" of myself and the other player, and now the three of us, plus a new group of very awesome gals, have more fun as the Belles than the Babes will ever know! ;D And that's all I have to say about that! (The Bingo Belles know who these other two players are, but since my blog is public, I don't need to say their names.)

Today I am feeling very cheerful!
posted by ScaryShari @ 4:21 PM  
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 

Welcome to my blog: 'Meandering Missive'!
My Photo
Name:
Location: South Bay Area, California, United States

My blog here has been abandoned, sorry! But PLEASE come and visit me at http://scaryshari.livejournal.com -- I update my blog several times each week. And Live Journal is far better than Blogspot/Blogger in many ways!! :)

Recent Rambles
Archives
Quote of the Week
'The only way to have a friend is to be one.' - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Fave Blog Log
Fave Links
Counter

Misc. Goodies

15n41n1

Blogwise - blog directory

Personal Blog Top Sites

Blog Flux Directory

Technorati blog directory

pointlessly purple

Secret Santa Project


www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing photos in a set called Shari's badge. Make your own badge here.