Friday, December 02, 2005
POEM: Windswept
Due to popular request, I'm posting another poem. I shared the first one, Beneath the Surface, in my Nov. 2 entry. That poem was written many years ago, and so is this one, called Windswept. (Kind of suitable after the weather we had last night!)

I remember Windswept was among those I "workshopped" in an upper-division poetry class I took toward my English minor at San Jose State. It's written in the style of the Italian sonnet (aka Petrarchan sonnet). I always found English sonnets (aka Shakespearean sonnets) much easier to write, but for the class I had to write at least one Italian sonnet. I'm glad I did!

If memory serves me, this poem generated more feedback and emotion from my classmates than any of the other poems I workshopped that semester. *blush* I wish I could still write like this! Then again, I haven't specifically TRIED it in ages, so perhaps I will again one day! :)


Windswept (April 1994)

The wind was blowing cold across the stones
Like wailing banshees through the dark night's air.
With taper in her hand, she climbed the stair
That wound within the walls that made her home.
This castle sheltered those who once did roam
Among the elements, both foul and fair
Until, when hearts or minds were needing care,
They sought a respite from the gath'ring gloam.

A harvest moon now casts a glow upon
These testaments to lives of other times;
The ruins lie illumined by the light.
I walk alone, lamenting what is gone,
Because those lives were intertwined with mine.
The selfsame wind is blowing cold tonight.


sjk
posted by ScaryShari @ 3:44 PM  
1 Comments:
  • At 8:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    It's great to see someone in this day and age who still appreciates SONNETS - in either of their forms. :-) Right on and great poem! Post some more soon!

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 

Welcome to my blog: 'Meandering Missive'!
My Photo
Name:
Location: South Bay Area, California, United States

My blog here has been abandoned, sorry! But PLEASE come and visit me at http://scaryshari.livejournal.com -- I update my blog several times each week. And Live Journal is far better than Blogspot/Blogger in many ways!! :)

Recent Rambles
Archives
Quote of the Week
'The only way to have a friend is to be one.' - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Fave Blog Log
Fave Links
Counter

Misc. Goodies

15n41n1

Blogwise - blog directory

Personal Blog Top Sites

Blog Flux Directory

Technorati blog directory

pointlessly purple

Secret Santa Project


www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing photos in a set called Shari's badge. Make your own badge here.