Wednesday, January 18, 2006
Snapple Pie: everything but the tin! ;)
I've been meaning to write about Snapple Apple Pie all week, but things kept getting in the way. Hopefully it's not too late, and folks can still find it on the shelves! It's apparently been out since October or November, but somehow I didn't see it until January.

On a recent trip to my favourite Safeway, I saw a 4-pack of Snapples that looked different from the others. The cardboard (or whatever it is they make the 4-pack carriers out of) had a totally unfamiliar graphic, and the bottles themselves didn't have the regular Snapple wrap-around labeling, but rather had a PIE graphic on them. See below; if you want a close-up, just click the pic! :)




I'd never heard of Snapple Pie before, but I love apple pie, and I've loved Snapple since they first launched in the 1990s or whenever it was. So I took the plunge and bought the entire 4-pack. It wasn't a mistake.

The colour looks sort of like applesauce, which I found appropriate enough. The smell of the drink is somewhat appley and somewhat just "fruity." I also detected some mixture of spices, and a slight aroma of toasty caramel, for lack of a better description! When I first drank it, the sweetness of apples struck me first, and I thought it might be too sweet, like Snapple Apple turned out to be. But I was wrong!

Almost as though it was timed, I started noticing there was a hint of tartness there too, perhaps from another juice in the mix, or perhaps from citric or ascorbic acid. And then came the spice flavor of what seemed like cinnamon, cloves and/or nutmeg -- very mild, not at all irritating! Then I noticed the toasty caramel again, only when I tasted it rather than just smelling it, it also reminded me of an actual PIE CRUST! Not exactly like a true buttery, flaky crust from Grandma's oven, but enough so that I could see why on the packing, it says "Our crust is a must!" *chuckle*

I'd recommend this drink to anyone who likes apple pie, and who doesn't mind experimenting with novel flavors. Interestingly enough, I can't find ANYTHING on the Net about Snapple Pie in 2005! I only found references to 2003, when it apparently made its debut as a "seasonal flavor" the company hoped would boost sales during the slow winter months.

Here's a very interesting news snippet from CNN: Snapple Pie hits store shelves And here's an undated promo page from Snapple themselves (click here) in which they talk about not only the Apple Pie, but also another pie called Berry Mix & Mingle. I bet it would taste like crumb berry pie, mmm! I wish I'd seen THAT at Safeway; I'd have tried it too! Has anyone else tried either of these? If so, did you like them? If not, what are you waiting for?

Today I am feeling thirsty!
posted by ScaryShari @ 9:41 PM  
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 

Welcome to my blog: 'Meandering Missive'!
My Photo
Name:
Location: South Bay Area, California, United States

My blog here has been abandoned, sorry! But PLEASE come and visit me at http://scaryshari.livejournal.com -- I update my blog several times each week. And Live Journal is far better than Blogspot/Blogger in many ways!! :)

Recent Rambles
Archives
Quote of the Week
'The only way to have a friend is to be one.' - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Fave Blog Log
Fave Links
Counter

Misc. Goodies

15n41n1

Blogwise - blog directory

Personal Blog Top Sites

Blog Flux Directory

Technorati blog directory

pointlessly purple

Secret Santa Project


www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing photos in a set called Shari's badge. Make your own badge here.