Sunday, January 08, 2006
A splash of winter colour
Down the primrose path... ;)



I just wanted to share a very bright, cheery and colourful photo that I took a few days ago. (Click the pic for an even better close-up!) When it comes to winter-blooming annuals, it doesn't get much more festive than primroses! In particular, the various Primula x polyantha hybrids, which are commonly called English primrose or Polyantha primrose. The letter "x" is silent, by the way; it's used to indicate hybridization. Tony will never let me live down the first time I said the Latin name of a hybrid aloud, because I said "times" for the "x" -- as in multiplication! LOL I don't even know what tree, plant or flower it was; I just remember the laughter!

Anyway, this primrose is a good choice for winter landscaping, or even for container gardening. They enjoy being in full sun, but they do NOT enjoy heat, so I wouldn't recommend growing them in the summer -- unless you live in a cool-summer region or have the plants in a cool spot. Most primroses also prefer rich, well-drained soil and regular watering. Some species are fragrant, but I don't think these are (I haven't noticed, anyway).

Mini disclaimer: certain primrose species cause an itchy, poison oak-like reaction on some people's skin, so if you've never planted primroses before, pay attention until you know whether you react or not.

I hope other folks enjoyed this photo as much as I do. :) Something about colourful, pretty flowers always seems to raise my spirits. They also bring to mind a moving quote by Lady Bird Johnson: "Where flowers bloom, so does hope."

Today I am feeling content.

P.S. One -- and ONLY one -- of the primrose flower clusters was "PhotoShopped in" (by me). If you can guess which one doesn't belong, you get a prize!
posted by ScaryShari @ 4:08 PM  
3 Comments:
  • At 11:04 PM, Blogger Shari said…

    I don't have a guess, but Mike wants to try. He says, "the pink/white with yellow centers in the upper left."

    He also says, "they're nice!"

     
  • At 1:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    This is me, rodluvan writing. I only can be anymous in your blogg. Because I am LJ useer and have not the engergy to be menber in this blogg too, because I should not have time. Of couse I want to comment you but I mean that I have no time to be a real user in Meandedering.

    The flowers are wonderful. I like the colours. When I look out of the window in my office I only see forrest in white. Pine covered wiht heavy snow ans white on tyhe ground. No colours. It's winter in Sweden and very cold minus -13C I am longing for the spring colours.

     
  • At 5:38 PM, Blogger Fran said…

    Ok,Ok--I give up Shari! You have me drooling now! I love primroses. I say the yellow ones on the right?! This is just so beautiful. Reminds us of the spring to come. Thanks for stopping by.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 

Welcome to my blog: 'Meandering Missive'!
My Photo
Name:
Location: South Bay Area, California, United States

My blog here has been abandoned, sorry! But PLEASE come and visit me at http://scaryshari.livejournal.com -- I update my blog several times each week. And Live Journal is far better than Blogspot/Blogger in many ways!! :)

Recent Rambles
Archives
Quote of the Week
'The only way to have a friend is to be one.' - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Fave Blog Log
Fave Links
Counter

Misc. Goodies

15n41n1

Blogwise - blog directory

Personal Blog Top Sites

Blog Flux Directory

Technorati blog directory

pointlessly purple

Secret Santa Project


www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing photos in a set called Shari's badge. Make your own badge here.