Wednesday, November 02, 2005
POEM: Beneath the Surface
I've had some requests to share my poetry here (*blush*), and decided to do so on an irregular basis. I used to write it as often as a bard, with sonnets and ballads my preferred format, although I also liked free verse. Unfortunately, however, I seem to have lost my poetic muse the last few years.

Actually -- on second thought -- I don't think I've lost it. I think it is simply DORMANT. :)

I can't imagine that something I loved so much, and came so easily to me, could ever simply go away. I think perhaps it just got buried by the same creative burnout that insidiously took away my passion for journalism. But just like some seeds can lie dormant for years until just the right favourable conditions let them germinate, I think the same is likely true for my poetry.

At any rate, the poem below is from 1994. The entire 1990s was a very "fertile" decade for me, perhaps because my brain was being stimulated by college anyway, or perhaps because I went through a lot of strong emotions (both good and bad) due to relationships in that decade. "Beneath the Surface" was one of my fave poems from that decade, and still is, for various reasons. I just can't believe I wrote it 11 years ago!

Beneath the Surface
(Autumn 1994)

A cold, pristine layer
Of icy isolation,
Thickened and hardened
By the passage of
Extended seasons
Of bleak Winter.

But below the chilling layer,
Dark currents can be seen
Through its spots of
Translucence, those
Dangerous spots where
The ice wears
Thin.
Somewhere within the depths
There flows a warm spring,
An ancient vent to a core
Of such heat as would
Melt the weathered glaciers
Lodged atop the craggy
Surrounding mountains.

The swirling currents
Create a hidden turbulence,
As heat struggles to
Vanquish cold.
All this beneath the
Cold and placid surface.

From the distant mountains
The lake offers no clue
As to its internal turmoil.
Tall and hardy evergreens
Overlook the scene
With silence.

Day becomes night
In endless cycles.
Outwardly, all is the same.
Inwardly, the lake is changing.

In the dark before the dawn,
A shooting star
Illumines the sky,
Its trail reflected
On the surface of a small
Pool of water --
A melted spot among the ice,
Emanating warmth.

sjk


Today I am feeling accomplished.
posted by ScaryShari @ 3:20 PM  
1 Comments:
  • At 10:25 PM, Blogger ScaryShari said…

    *blush* Thanks for the kind words about this, and my other poetry. I can't believe you remember this poem, but I'm glad. I too see a lot of images in my mind when I read it. It also seems to give off a mood/feeling.

    Anyhoo, I will definitely post more poems in the future. I just have to look through my huge list and pick some. <:) Speaking of which, haven't you written some poems yourself? Or was it just short stories? I remember you writing some pretty cool things!

    Shari

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 

Welcome to my blog: 'Meandering Missive'!
My Photo
Name:
Location: South Bay Area, California, United States

My blog here has been abandoned, sorry! But PLEASE come and visit me at http://scaryshari.livejournal.com -- I update my blog several times each week. And Live Journal is far better than Blogspot/Blogger in many ways!! :)

Recent Rambles
Archives
Quote of the Week
'The only way to have a friend is to be one.' - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Fave Blog Log
Fave Links
Counter

Misc. Goodies

15n41n1

Blogwise - blog directory

Personal Blog Top Sites

Blog Flux Directory

Technorati blog directory

pointlessly purple

Secret Santa Project


www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing photos in a set called Shari's badge. Make your own badge here.